Long title for a simple process. It snows. Some snow must be removed from where it is at and put into another convenient and adjacent location.
This posting is subtitled, my snowblower broke, again, and there is more snow coming.
It’s a good snowblower, actually an attachment to my Cub Cadet lawn tractor system. It exists on the continuum from shovel to airport 42′ snow plow. Conveniently, it typically exists quietly in my backyard shed while alternating between scheduled and unscheduled maintenance, and less occuring actual snowblowing events. So far this season, there has been a new battery, several battery charging sessions, an oil change, a would not start for anything event (that is when I found the wooden chip jamming the choke assembly from the full range of motion), a complete electrical connection system cleansing and now, the front auger has stripped its gears and will not scoop snow into the second stage thrower. And there is more snow coming.
Tonights trouble shooting consisted of several methodical half split stages until the final point of power was diminished into insignificance. Due to safety features, I could not activate the PTO function while simultaneously not sitting on the tractor so that I could simultaneously observe the function of the first stage auger system. DW was beckoned, and convinced to sit on the running tractor and pull the PTO engage switch. The snow blower would throw but not gather or pass snow from the first to the second stage. The first stage was jammed full of snow. The mechanical power was present up to the auger assembly, but not transferred beyond.
Then it got interesting. Perhaps there was a rock jamming up the works. Not unheard of, but the shear pins, which normally would have been sheared off, remained intact. But just in case, I removed much of the snow from the first stage, while the tractor was deep in the garage, and left a pile of snow on the floor. Activating the PTO one more time, with much less resistance on the stripped out gear, allowed the snow to be passed through to the second stage and be thrown against the front wall of the garage. Hoping maybe it was fixed, I went out one more time, only to find it wasn’t.
The component that needs to be replaced was found on line, but inventory is backordered. My last hope is that the local dealers have one. If not…..And there is more snow coming.